Need help writing a memoir? Stuck trying to figure out how to get an author website launched? Want some expert advice on self-publishing? I offer an array of services to help you with various aspects of your author/writing project. From time to time, I also offer 2-day memoir workshops at my house on Vashon Island (Once the home of “The Egg and I” author, Betty MacDonald).
Below are the various types of coaching I offer:
This service is for those who do not yet have a completed manuscript and would like to work one-on-one while writing their story. This process includes:
- Three individual Skype consultations, beginning with an initial conversation, during which you will be given specific tasks to help you find your theme and transformational elements.
- Follow-up consultations on how to structure your book and how to get it written in a reasonable amount of time.
- Three submissions of your manuscript in 1,000-word installments sent to me for review and comments. (When a completed manuscript is produced, you have the option to submit it for a thorough manuscript review at the rates below).
This service is for those seeking a critique of a completed manuscript. Manuscripts up to 80,000 words.
- A full read-through.
- Theme suggestions.
- Structure suggestions.
- A 3-5 page written critique.
- A marked-up manuscript returned with margin edits on content, encouragement for what is working, suggestions for improving the work, occasional lavish praise.
- A one-hour phone or Skype call to go over your manuscript. (Additional hours available at the rate listed below.) All manuscripts are returned within 2 weeks unless otherwise stipulated.
Plan and set up your WordPress author website. Includes:
- Selecting an appropriate template or a review of templates you have already selected.
- Developing a plan for site’s architecture: pages, blog posts, sidebar elements, etc. and then gathering information and adding to the new site.
- Building pages, setting up your site
- An hour-long WordPress training session via Skype (or in-person if local to Seattle)
$120/ hour for reading and consulting on manuscripts of fewer than 100 pages.
$150/hour for Skype sessions.
$300/100 pages of a manuscript over 100 pages and up to 350 pages. After 350 pages we negotiate a price.
How to begin
Contact me by sending me an email me at abigail at abigailcarter dot com (or use the form below). I will need:
- Your idea for a book/essay, a work in progress or a completed manuscript.
- The service(s) you are interested in.
- How you envision working together
- Your contact info: email, phone, Skype
- Times for a short 15-minute intro call.
I will provide:
- A quick response.
- A 10-15 introduction phone call to see if we might enjoy working together.
- If we agree on terms, you will receive a commitment from me to do my best work.
- A follow-up letter telling you how to proceed.
(Note: You pay nothing until we agree on a plan and price, and contract to begin work together.) After an initial consult, or after I look at the manuscript, I may suggest using a different editor. I work closely with several editors who I regularly suggest for jobs. If this is the case, you owe me nothing.
I teach a series of memoir workshops at my home on Vashon Island, WA (the previous home of Betty MacDonald, 1940s author of The Egg and I and Miss Piggle Wiggle. These workshops are 2-day (staying overnight). If interested, please email me for the upcoming schedule at abigail at abigailcarter dot com (or use the form below)
Invite me to speak to your group
Topics I speak on:
- Getting started with memoir
- Author website essentials using WordPress
- Various aspects of self-publishing
- Memoir writing process
- Grief and Loss
- Dating after loss
(Please note: Rates vary by size of group and duration of classes and exclude travel expenses.)